The "Hof zu Au auf dem Ybbsfeld" (Court at Au on the plain of the river Ybbs) was men-tioned as long ago as 1396 in the fief book of Duke Albert IV. Originally the court existed for hunting purposes around the Au. In the 16th century, the Auhof was expanded into a manor and soon thereafter came under the governance of the Karlsbachs, and then in the year 1684 the Starhembergers, whom it served until 1848 as a seat of administration and governance, as well as a regional court.
A document from the year 1838 gives the exact number of cattle and mentions a beauti-ful and sizeable fruit garden; the whole environment was like “a garden of the most beautiful variations”. Also after 1848 the manor remained as a seat of administration and of the upper forestry office for the royal Starhemberg estates.
In 1933/1934 Ernst Rüdiger von Starhemberg sold the manor to Siegfried Hofer, who however lost it between the years 1938-1941 to a German settlement society. Only in 1951 did Hofer get his property back, and sold the manor in 1960 to the company Kneis-sel. In 1963 the company Haslmayr-Grassegg acquired the building and established a sports clothing factory. In the following years the manor was incrementally expanded. The industrial operation ran until 1993, when it had to be discontinued.
In Spring 1994 J. Bentlage acquired the manor and the bordering lawns and gifted the entire complex to the congregation. In 1996 the first members moved into the – now – “Auhof Cloister”.
In the following years innumerable works on the house were necessary: reconstruction of the production halls into the chapel, lecture rooms, dining hall and individual rooms. In addition, the restoration of the roof trusses, the extension of the roof level (including the addition of a stair-case), new installation of the waste water system, the installation of the library rooms, exterior restoration, etc.
Although the Auhof now shines from outside again, every year new renovation works are necessary in the different sections of the building.